Bishop Fulton J. Sheen, Mentor & Friend (Bk) B3293
By Msgr. Hilary Franco, STD, JCL, MA SOC. Never before revealed.... the memoirs of Archbishop Sheen's closest friend and collaborator!
In 1959, a young priest was befriended by renowned TV personality Fulton J. Sheen. Young Fr. Hilary Franco soon became Bishop Sheen's right hand in the latter's worldwide evangelization efforts and and in his work at Vatican Council II. For eight years, the two even shared a house and chapel, ate daily meals together, walked to work together and traveled together all over the world. When later assignments sent them to different continents, the two remained in close contact by letter, phone and visits, until Archbishop Sheen's death in 1979.
In 2013, Msgr. Franco was interviewed at length by Patrick Monaghan. Here, in an easy-to-read and friendly format, are memories that will warm your heart and bring tears to your eyes.... a peek into the bishop's chapel and his deep prayer life... the inside scoop on his views and work during Vatican II... insights into what he thought and how he suffered during the turbulent religious climate in America during the late 60s and early 70s.... and much more. Hard to put down.
Foreword by Cardinal Timothy Dolan. 160 pp. Softcover.
By Msgr. Hilary C. Franco, STD, JCL, MA SOC
(Msgr. Franco is assistant nuncio from the Vatican at the United Nations)
As a young priest, Msgr. Hilary Franco worked closely with Archbishop Sheen from 1959-1967, sharing in his travels and trials, his joys and his sorrows, and his prayer life. Then for 12 further years, the two stayed in close communication by letter, phone and visits until Archbishop Sheen passed away in 1979. In an easy, conversational style, Msgr. Franco now shares his precious memories of this time. Read his first-hand accounts of:
• the Archbishop’s friendships with many famous persons, including Bl. Mother Teresa
• his conversions of well-known atheists and Communists
• his sense of humor
• his daily schedule, including daily prayer pauses with his assistants
• his relationships with the poor and beggars
• how the Venerable Archbishop “convinced” an alcoholic actress to go to confession
• his worldwide travels and conferences
• his friendships with Popes John XXIII, Paul VI and John Paul II
• how he saw his work at Vatican Council II, and some of his insights at that historical time
• the inside story of his appointment to the diocese of Rochester, NY.
You won’t want to be without this unique view into the life of one who will surely be counted among America’s greatest saints!BONUS: Includes an in-depth interview of Msgr. Franco in which he reveals Archbishop Sheen’s thoughts on reverence to the Eucharist, the formation of seminarians, the loss of thousands of priests and religious sisters, his prophetic insights about the future of the Church in America, and much more!
(Item Wholesale 3293, 160 pp. Softcover)